Sunday, July 21, 2013

There’s a Fine Line Between Passion and Addiction: But does it really matter?

        I knew my life would never be the same the day I named my pet fish after my Latino salsa dance instructor.  I’d christened my saltwater Blue Damsel fish of unknown sex Antonio*.  In a moment of lucid reflection I realized that I had completely lost it.  At least I had little worries that anyone would pity me for having named my pet something mundane like Fred, or Bubbles or please no, a fish called Wanda.
        That is, if anyone ever found out.
        So I kept my fish called Antonio a secret until I discovered that I was not alone in my newfound passion—salsa dancing.
        Looking back, it was the first dip that hooked me. It happened on a dance floor not much bigger than a Spanish tapa in a hot, smoky cigar bar in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Virtually no fresh air circulated, a stogie haze coated my skin and clothes, and leering stares from beady-eyed, mustachioed men made me feel naked and self-conscious. 
        I was fifteen minutes into lesson number two with Antonio. I couldn’t get the steps right and was moving about as gracefully as a Holstein.  Plus, with no dance background, I needed to learn important things like maintaining the proper frame and following a man’s lead.  Concentration just to master the basic steps was not something I’d anticipated.  How could I possibly have fun when I needed to think?  And what was I doing in a bar alone at forty years old?  I should be home, married, with 2.2 children, making a soufflé or potpourri or something. 
        And then without warning, Antonio dipped me.  One instant I was vertical, the next my head was just inches from the floor. In one fluid move that had lasted only a few seconds I was changed forever. 
        My ardor for salsa developed rapidly after that first dip.  I started taking lessons twice a week and going out dancing another two nights a week. For the first time in my life I stopped caring about my age.  Before 40, or as I prefer to think of it, B.S., “before salsa”, I’d been dreading the big “4 – 0”.  But now my age truly did feel like nothing more than a number.  In fact, I began to feel like a teenager again.
        I spent the early months like a zealous missionary spreading the gospel of this fantastically fun fountain of youth that I had discovered.  Naturally, I’d attempted to convert my non-salsa friends.  Try it!  It’s incredible, fantastic, better than sex (well, almost).
        But I didn’t win over a single friend.  A few tried it but gave up after a lesson or two.  Could it be that salsa was not for everyone?  But this seemed impossible so I continued to regale them with minute details of my new salsa adventures until one day I realized that they looked bored. Eventually, any semblance of politeness was abandoned.  They begged me to stop talking about what they now referred to as my “dark side.”
         A few months later my 401k mistakenly cashed out.  I held the unexpected five-figure check in my trembling fingers feeling as though I’d won a lottery jackpot.  No doubt this was a message from the universe to spend my life savings on private salsa lessons and sexy salsa clothes. 
         After a year I outgrew Milwaukee’s salsa scene and started traveling one-hundred eighty miles round trip to Chicago to go dancing two nights a week. 
         One night I realized that my passion might be more of an addiction.  My partner and I were under the lights in the center of the dance floor when ten seconds into our dance, my bra unhooked in the back.  I had on a skin-tight flesh colored tank top.  Any movement of the bra and my breasts would be fully exposed.  Of course any sane woman would’ve excused herself immediately to dash to the restroom for an emergency re-adjustment.  But I continued to dance because of the following salient facts:
1)                  Celos” by Marc Anthony, one of my favorite salsa songs, was playing;
2)                  I was dancing with Javier, one of my favorite partners.  When he dips me the earth moves, making me feel as though I’m starring in a Hollywood movie, having the best sex of my life and eating Godiva chocolates by the pound without gaining weight, all rolled into one incredible feeling;
3)                  If my breasts were bared I certainly wasn’t risking arrest.   In fact, I could attract more dance partners.
          Obviously there was only one alternative.  I kept dancing unconcerned about whether I’d crossed that line between sanity and hopeless obsession. But then, a few weeks later, while using the restroom at my favorite club, I found out that perhaps I wasn’t so crazy after all. 
          “Yeah, my boobs popped out one night,” announced an attractive Latina as she primped in the bathroom mirror.  “I just stuffed ‘em back in and kept dancing.”
            Trying to keep breasts intact and covered while wearing revealing salsa attire is a mystery not yet solved by the laws of physics or Maidenform.  Another night I joined a heated discussion about the pros and cons of duct tape for those flimsy tops for which no brassiere exists. Duct tape works, but almost too well.  It’s almost like smearing breasts with super glue and putting them inside a plaster cast.  The one time I tried it, my breasts were red, raw and wrinkled like prunes when I'd finally removed it.  (I wonder, do the Duct Tape Guys know about this?) 
           Some women use the stick-on silicone cups, but I find they slide off with excessive sweating, something I’d discovered in the middle of a dance at the Puerto Rico Salsa Congress last summer when I realized that the left cup was intact, but that the right had slithered down to my navel.
           Over a few months, my two trips a week to Chicago had gradually turned into three.  One night, I took a brief break from dancing to order a bottle of water.  A man at the bar struck up a conversation with me.
           “You drive all the way from Milwaukee just to salsa?” he said in shock.
            “What do you mean ‘just’ and how did you get into this club?” I almost responded.  But I could see in his eyes that he thought I was insane. Self-doubt set in. 
            I sought out and quizzed every salsa regular who was willing to spare a few minutes of dancing time to talk.  I found dozens of people who went out dancing five or six nights a week.  One woman confessed that she owned three hundred pairs of salsa shoes. Another woman had quit law school to become a professional salsa dancer.  A man I often danced with told me that he was taking Pilates for dancers classes five days a week to improve his flexibility for salsa—this was in addition to holding down a full-time job and taking six salsa lessons a week.  Another guy had had an expensive dance studio built in his basement where he took private lessons and held salsa parties.
           Whew, I was okay, clearly not in the same league of insanity as those people.  But I continued to wonder, what was it about salsa that made me love it so?
           Was it simply the release of endorphins?  No. That’s a side benefit realized with regular types of exercise.
           Could it be that salsa is a pure form of communication?  Certainly, no words are necessary to elicit the intense feelings of euphoria and exhilaration experienced while dancing with a partner with whom one shares "salsa chemistry."
           Is it that salsa attracts people from diverse backgrounds and cultures?  I love the fact that salsa appeals to people of all races and I’ve danced with everyone from busboys to brain surgeons.  And best of all, no one cares—it’s all about the dancing. 
            Is it the music?  Just hearing the music makes me want to move whether I’m in my car, kitchen or on the dance floor.  
            After four years of trying to unravel the mystery of why salsa sets my soul on fire, I’ve finally come to understand that it truly doesn’t matter.  Call it a passion, addiction, obsession or infatuation; the bottom line is the still the same.  Salsa is pure joy and fun, not to mention incredibly sexy and calorie-free. 
            So go ahead, lock me up and throw away the key.  I won’t mind, provided I can keep dancing.


*This name has been changed to protect the innocent—the fish, definitely not the instructor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment