Sunday, August 4, 2013

Ode to Tanzanian Transportation

If you've ever had the unique pleasure of taking public transportation in Africa, you will appreciate this first (and so far only) attempt at poetry, based upon the most horrific 10-hour bus ride I ever experienced.

For journeys to places remote and afar
            Lushoto, Iringa, Dodoma and Dar
It's a motor coach or passenger bus you will need
But there's anguish and suffering ahead so take heed

If you see "express" or "luxury" as part of the name
Beware for it's just part of an elaborate game
They doth protest too much, here's a word to the wise
Be prepared in advance know their tricks and their lies

If the coach is "express" it means a stop every minute
If the bus is a "luxury" there’re three hundred passengers in it
There is no timetable, the prices they refuse to relate
Your ability to haggle will settle the rate

If they tell you the bus will leave straightaway
You'll sit there for hours they don't mind the delay
If they promise the bus will arrive at seven
You have just as much chance you'll turn up in heaven

If the bench will fit two they'll squeeze in some more
And suddenly your seat is now perfect for four 
It's the typical journey I've described thus far
But the trip I took yesterday was pure misery from Dar

I sat next to a man in business attire 
I had no notion, no clue my situation was dire
It struck without warning like a nighttime criminal
This was nothing imagined, not close to subliminal

My senses assaulted I needed to heave
Oh my God this man reeks, I just want to leave
With unwashed body, his whiff steadily wafted
Against my will and my wishes my lungs continually quaffed it

For relief my head hung out the window for hours
My body contorted, my mind filled with sorrows
I stewed and simmered in the man's sickening smell
Light a candle for me for I'm surely in hell

The Pare Mountains like a blanket folded over the land
The green sisal spiked out o’ the red sand
Snow-capped Kili in the distance behind billowing cloud
Obscured almost hidden as if covered by shroud
But the beautiful scenery graced not my eye
For the only thought in my head was “I hope that I die”

The trip went on and on and into the night
The blackness outside was a mind-numbing sight
They could strap me to the roof, it'd be better up there
At least there'd be stars and the moon and fresh air

The man left at Moshi an hour before my trip ended 
But his presence prolonged, the aroma suspended
And then it was over I had somehow come through
I looked at the world as if it were new

And if I should expire with a blemish on my soul
Whether it's now in my youth or when I'm quite old
I'll go to my death without trepidation or fear
Because I know Dante's hell, it's called luxury here   


No comments:

Post a Comment